Thursday, September 24, 2009

Leaving Life Riverside

That isn’t a typo. Many know the changes that are afoot, but for those who don’t, here’s the story.

In late April, I had discussions with two separate entities that set some things in motion that couldn’t be stopped. The first discussion involved a sit down with my old employer, ERGON ; (http://www.ergon.com/ ) they offered me an employment opportunity that was simply too good to ignore, especially at my age, with my limited capabilities and in this economy. It’s not in the beautiful Rocky Mountains on the banks of the Colorado River – it’s in Jackson, MS. (Note to those in Colorado: Jackson, MS doesn’t suck. Not even close.) How could I consider this, you ask? I mentioned that there were two discussions. Shortly after the Ergon discussion, an individual sat me down, looked me straight in the eye and told me “I want to buy The Riverside.” “Wow”, I thought, “the stars are in alignment, the gods have spoken and the Three Princes of Serendip have just booked rooms at The Riverside!”

When we bought the hotel, there were always discussions about how long we wanted to operate it, provided we were financially able to keep it afloat and the banks and our creditors didn’t make the decision for us. Five years for sure, and maybe as long as ten years; unless someone came along and wanted it more than we did, at which point, we would consider the offer. Well here was this someone, and his unexpected overture just happened to coincide with an out-of- the-blue, over-the-top, once-in-a-lifetime, multi-hyphenated job opportunity.

I accepted the job, and began to work with the buyer on the due-diligence details. The potential buyer did all sorts of things that made me think he was serious – he loudly, openly and publicly told people he was buying it. Without consulting or getting approval from me, he invested in capital equipment for the kitchen and hotel. He continually brought in friends and associates and showed them what he was going to fix, change, improve, add, subtract, divide and multiply.
I thought this guy was serious!! So much so, that I basically checked out of the business, let him take control of it, and began making plans for the next chapter in our life journey. I gave him our offer sheet, and it went unacknowledged for three weeks. I started to wonder what the hell was happening – no counter offer, no discussion, no “are you crazy, I wouldn’t give you half of what you’re asking for this dump!” Nothing. Upon finally being pressed for a response, he simply said “I’m not interested, and I've decided to concentrate on other issues.” Huh?? What about the crowd of friends you had in here two nights ago speaking as if you were the soon-to-be owner?

Here are a few links that might help describe me and my ability to trust and judge other humans, especially regarding this particular human interaction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmuck
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dupe
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sucker
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiot_(person)
http://www.oxfordenglishdictionary.org/stupididiotwho

We bury our dead, we dry our tears and we move on. We also hopefully learn from our mistakes – trust needs to be earned, not passed out like candy on Halloween night to any neighborhood spook that shows up at our door.

So the second part of the serendipitous equation went away like a foul smell, but part one remained a reality. The position of VP of Sales for Ergon Armor http://www.ergonarmor.com/ awaits me in Jackson, MS. The Riverside is for sale, and we have five interested parties. I say to those interested parties, know that it is an acquired taste and not for everyone. Know that we are selling more than a house and a building that generates revenue – we are selling a historic Grand County icon, a building that comes with a luscious past that transcends any who would own it and all who now visit. Know that if you are lucky enough to be able to own this place, your life will be sometimes cursed, but mostly blessed. Know that your daily life will be filled with the very best of what humanity has to offer, 98% of the time. But be very wary of strangers bearing gifts. Welcome them with open hearts and open arms, as we did.........but be wary.

To be continued….

2 comments:

  1. Respect is given trust is earned. How sad that this story seems to end with a "dneirf". That is a "friend" spelled backward. They look like a friend even act like a friend but beware... they are not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this guy was serious!! So much so, that I basically checked out of the business, let him take control of it, and began making plans for the next chapter in our life journey. I gave him our offer sheet, and it went unacknowledged for three weeks. I started to wonder what the hell was happening – no counter offer, no discussion, no “are you crazy, I wouldn’t give you half of what you’re asking for this dump!” Nothing. Upon finally being pressed for a response, he simply said “I’m not interested, and I've decided to concentrate on other issues.” Huh?? What about the crowd of friends you had in here two nights ago speaking as if you were the soon-to-be owner?ugg

    ReplyDelete