Sunday, December 13, 2009

Living Life Lakeside.......Part II

I was in dire need of a haircut. Damned dire need!

For the past 20 years in Kansas City, I would go every two-three weeks to my barber, Rocky, plop myself into his chair and chat away while he did whatever he did to my hair. I never had to tell him what clipper number to use, or ask that he use scissors, not the razor, or tell him “I don’t think I want a bouffant today, not a mullet either; how about my normal same length on the top as it is on the sides cut.” I never had to say any of that; I sat in the chair, discussed sports, or my job, or whatever, and 15 minutes later, my hair was cut – the way I like it.

(Here’s a tip. If you live in a world where you have a barber who cuts your hair the way you like it, talks sports and roots for the same teams as you, shares your political views, and has a cool barber name like Rocky, don’t get off that horse. Keep riding it.)

When we moved to Colorado, I took for granted the small changes and adjustments that leaving our home of 50+ years behind would bring. The big changes were obvious; they were planned for and the required adjustments were assumed. It was the little things that came with relocation – finding a new church, couldn’t buy the same local bread, beer or BBQ sauce, new doctors, no dry cleaners, no Winsteads….new barber. And it wasn’t the big changes that stressed us; it was the little things that gnawed and ate at our “did we do the right thing by moving?” bone.

Never in Colorado did I get a good haircut. I came close, once, in downtown Denver; close, but no Rocky. It possibly explains why so many Colorado inhabitants – men and women alike – opt for the Allen Ginsburg look.

Off to Mississippi.

I work in an office building with lots of guys, and most of them have hair. So I know that a few questions to the right people will get me hooked up with a Southern version of Rocky – down here, his name will be Clem. He’ll talk sports (although it’ll be limited to SEC football), he’ll probably be on the same political plane as me, and as an added Mississippi bonus, he’ll discuss Faulkner with me. Nah, probably not gonna talk Faulkner with the barber, but at least he’ll cut my hair the way I like it.

After a few queries, I took the advice of a fellow worker who suggested a place in Brandon, “down Highway 80, right next to the Blockbuster.” After a morning meeting at our lab, which is right off of Highway 80, I decided to forgo lunch and head for that clip shop. Driving east on Highway 80 – first time driving here and all new to me – I passed a variety of stuff, but never came to Brandon, and never saw a Blockbuster. In fact, I was in the city of Pearl, MS. I passed a few hair salons, and as Highway 80 got into a residential area, and showed no promise of a complex that would house a Blockbuster, I turned around and headed back towards a shop that I’d seen a few blocks prior.

I pulled up and parked in front of ‘Amy’s Clip & Curl’. There were several women outside smoking cigarettes, and I asked “can I get a haircut here?” They all immediately threw down and stamped out their butts, and hustled me into the shop.

I’m certain you can all identify with the feeling you have of walking into a place, and as soon as you open the door, that little voice in your head, (the responsible little voice that cares about you; not the dominant, drunken, stupid loud voice that tells you to chuck it all and buy a hotel in the mountains), says, no, screams “turn around right now and get the hell out of here as fast as you can!!” That little voice was working overtime, actually, it was beginning to get hoarse, but I ignored it, and in I walked; mostly out of fear, as if I had at that point turned and run, two or three of them would have pursued and captured me – a haircut would have been well down the list of what they would have had in store for me.

The shop consisted of eight chairs, four on each side; each chair was manned, (although they were females, I’m still going to use the term ‘manned’) by women that all looked like Flo. Some of them had a full set of teeth; the one that cut my hair was found wanting in the bicuspid department – she’d only get about every third row of kernels if she were to eat corn on the cob.

She started out by asking, “So, how ya want’cha hair cut, hon?”

I wanted to answer “Properly”, but thought better of it.

“Do ya normally have it cut with electric clippers?”

“No, the man that normally cuts it, (sniff), only uses scissors.”

“Have ya ever had a razor cut?”

“Do you not have any scissors?”

“I just thought ya might wanna try sumpen different.”

‘A good haircut would be something different’, I thought, but said “Thanks, but I’ll just stick with the scissor cut.”

She ended up using scissors, the electric clippers and the straight razor, giving me a layered look that resembled a style of haircut that Paul Klee might have given had he been a barber. I thanked her, paid her, tipped her and asked for her card so I could make an appointment the next time I lose my mind and decide to get my haircut there.

Back at the office, I told one of my cohorts that I’ll probably go to Madison (the tony, northern Jackson suburb) next time I need a haircut.

Where did you get your haircut?” he asked.

“Pearl” I responded.

“Pearl” he all but announced, “why that’s known as a fine Mississippi community on the move!”

Really?? Why?” I asked.

“'Lotta mobile homes, that's why.”

To be continued.......................

5 comments:

  1. And you wonder why your business sucks! Go back to Kansas since you dont like anything here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey "Anonymous"...since clearly you have nothing else to do and are reading the blog maybe you should either get a life or a sense of humor...oh and have enough courage to attach your name to a vile comment, coward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People like you are the reason the Paradises would LOVE nothing more than to go back to Kansas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Riverside doesn't "suck". You do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. richard@riverside-hotel.comDecember 18, 2009 at 9:26 PM

    Very sorry to have offended anyone, especially my Colorado friends - or unknown enemies. Bottom line about the haircut, there is but one Rocky - not in Colorado, London or Paris could I get my preferred doo; and not a slam on any locale.

    To you who thinks our business 'sucks', come by for a visit - bring your family, your friends and your children. We may suck, but we'll welcome you and make you feel special if you'll just give us a chance.

    ReplyDelete