Friday, December 24, 2010

Prime Rib for Vegans

As we approach our first Christmas season in Mississippi, I’m finding myself with just a tinge of nostalgia for winter in the mountains. Well, maybe half a tinge. It’s warm down here; warm unlike any Christmas I’ve ever experienced. One thing you could count on in the mountains was snow and cold temperatures at Christmas; for that matter, you could count on snow and cold in July. While it will take some adjustment getting used to a sunny, 74 F day on the winter solstice, I’m confident that I’ll be able to deal with it in time.

One constant with Christmas and me, be it in Mississippi, Hot Sulphur Springs or Shawnee, KS, is the art of the feast. The menu has been unchanged for years – a standing rib roast on Christmas Eve, and Thanksgiving dinner redux on Christmas night. The standing rib roast recipe was handed down by my father, and all of the prime ribs made at The Riverside were prepared in this fashion. Prime Rib was our standard offering on all of our holiday and special event meals – New Years Eve, Valentine’s Day, wedding meals and large group dinners.

As this crust bakes and mingles with the marbled fat exterior of the roast, it takes on a life of its own, almost eclipsing the flavor and splendor of the smoky beef; kind of like finding cash inside of a gold nugget. By last count, I swear to God, we had eight, full bore, dining room conversions of vegans jumping ship as they rediscovered the wonders of carnivorousness. It brought tears to my eyes watching the color return to the cheeks, while smiles returned to the faces of these ill-humored, wan, sallow jicama junkies as they scarfed down these blood rare bits of roasted goodness, shouting “Amen Brother!” and “Hallelujah Sweet Jesus but this is tasty!” between mouthfuls.

Serves 8 (or 4 reformed vegans)

1 – 4 bone Prime Rib roast (6-7 pounds)
½ cup Dijon mustard
½ stick unsalted butter
6 cups non-seasoned bread crumbs
8 cloves finely minced garlic
1 cup finely shredded Parmigiano Reggiano
3-4 healthy sprigs of fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
½ cup Kosher salt
¼ cup freshly ground coarse pepper

Melt the butter in a saucepan and whisk together with the Dijon Mustard. Using a pastry brush, literally paint the exterior of the roast with the mixture until all is covered.

Mix all of the remaining ingredients in a large dish, and roll the coated roast in the mixture until all is covered. This can be done early in the day, storing the roast uncovered in the refrigerator. (The ‘store in the refrigerator’ part wasn’t necessary at The Riverside, as room temperature was typically in the low 40’s.)

Preheat oven to 475F. Put the roast on a V-shaped roasting rack (they sell these at Wal-Mart for 6 bucks) and put it in the oven for 20 minutes – this will sear and crunchify the crust.

Reduce the heat to 275F and slowly roast until the internal temperature hits 125F – that’s the high side of rare. Remove the roast, tent with foil and let rest for 30 minutes. The roast will still be cooking, and the internal temperature should get to 135F – medium rare – at the end of the resting period.

Slice, serve, stand back and watch, whilst even the most strident of the anti-red meat crowd quiver in anticipation, before caving and succumbing to that which must be enjoyed.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and all the best for 2011!

3 comments:

  1. Richard,

    I read about your experience with the hotel, and would like to ask you a few things (I had a similar experience with a business of mine some time ago). My email is paulh@ourcoloradohomes.net. Could you send me a note so I can reply in confidence? Thanks!
    PAUL HILL

    ReplyDelete
  2. So... the "vegan" part is a joke? I came here looking for a recipe for an entree with a meat substitute.

    ...but I read it anyway. Here's what I think:

    It sounds like your "vegan" friends were malnourished, which can happen to both meatatarians and vegans alike, I should point out. Tell them to eat more kale if they want to see color come back to their cheeks and avoid meat substitutes containing soy protein isolate.

    I should also point out that eating a lot of meats that have been treated with antibiotics, fed genetically modified corn and left living an unnaturally short life in unclean and unsafe living conditions are proven sources of heart disease and cancer which are the two top killers in America, above even lower respiratory infections (basically, cigarettes). I'm guessing you smoke, though, too.

    I think I should also add in closing that I'm a very selective and conscious omnivore. I would gladly make this recipe if I weren't cooking for vegans and the meat came from a clean reliable local source.

    ENJOY YOUR MEAL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you certainly fit my above vegan description as being "ill-humored." I suppose I should have also referred to vegans as "thin skinned and unable to recognize or appreciate satire." Sheesh! Lighten up already...it's just a joke.

    ReplyDelete